This is a list of “signs” that I gathered which may tell you if this person is tangled in the web of human-trafficking:
- Under 18 years old and is known to profit from sex acts.
- Excessively monitored to the point of their “guardian” speaking for them and always having to be right next to them.
- Suddenly segregated from the rest of their family and friends.
- Unable to inform you about their weekly schedule (work or not), living conditions, and is suspected to work and live in the same place.
- Many faults in their story (contradicting places like age or family life)
- Overkill security at their home (cameras, boarded windows, etc.) with a steady stream of men coming and going from the home or work location.
- Change in dress, hair, jewelry, hands and/or nails.
- Appear to be sexually or physically abused: bruises, cuts, malnourishment, anxiety, avoids eye contact, depression, submissiveness, and fear.
- Substance abuse problems (alcohol/drugs), psychological disorders, chronic illnesses, and sexually transmitted diseases.
- Has many hotel cards, sharp objects (weapons), and/or lots of money
- Sudden boyfriend, usually much older than her
- Tattoo of a name (not their own) that he/she is unable or reluctant to explain
If you believe, from these symptoms, that someone you know is involved in sex-trafficking, call the National Trafficking Hotline: 1.888.3737.888